Monday, 21 September 2015

Mum to a 4 year old

After weeks of counting down to his birthday, my little boy has finally turned 4. He's been looking forward to it for ages, so it was very sad that he spent his last day as a 3 year old vomiting. Happily he was a lot better for the day itself - he didn't eat much, but what went in stayed in, and he enjoyed having a quiet day in playing with his new toys. I left making his cake until the day, so I could be sure he'd be able to enjoy it - I didn't think watching his parents and grandparents eat cake would be much of a birthday treat, and nor would eating stale cake a few days late!

Here are his card and last minute cake. Neither will win any awards, but my son loved them both, which is all that matters.




What I used
Dinosaur card:
Papers: Basic Grey "Archaic" 12x12,
Embellishments: Basic Grey "Archaic" chipboard stickers, Basic Grey "Archaic" adhesive letters and numbers, Lasting Impressions Senti-Metals "Birthday copper", Papermania mini brad
Tools: Basic Grey clear stamps "Dino" (for footprints inside the card)
Colours: ColorBox Pigment ink cat's eyes "dune", "brown", Ranger Adirondack alcohol ink "meadow"
Pirate ship cake:
Tools: XCut Build-a-scene dies "Nautical"
Icing: Waitrose white fondant icing, Renshaw red royal icing, Dr Oetker's black regal icing
Embellishments: Dr Oetker's "4" candle, Waitrose stripey candles, Tesco pirate sprinkles

Crafting notes
Dinosaur card:
  • The oval on which the 4 is mounted is a 'pebble' cut from one of the Archaic papers.
  • I inked the edges of the square paper and the 4.
  • I used alcohol ink to age the copper greeting and make it less shiny.
Pirate ship cake:
  • The pirate ship and octopus tentacles are both cut using an XCut build-a-scene die. The dies aren't thick enough to cut icing completely, but I pressed them onto the rolled icing and then completed the cut with a knife. As well as making it quick and easy to cut the shapes, the octopus die left some nice detail as well.

  • The ship's hull die features 4 cannon holes, so I put the 4 birthday candles in there to look like cannons firing. 
  • To make the swirly sea and sky I added drops of blue food colouring to white fondant icing and part mixed it before rolling out. 
  • I don't really like regal ice, as it's too sweet, so I tried out Waitrose's fondant icing. It was much less sweet, so I'll be using this from now on.


1 comment:

  1. both look brilliant and as you said the main thing is your son loved them both - Lesley x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)