In the end though, the photo I chose was of my little boy's encounter with a flaming BBQ on holiday in France - he tried to put the fire out with his toy fire engine. He was even wearing a Fireman Sam t-shirt at the time :-) So, I switched the circle for a big water splash, and here's the result. I hope you like it.
What I used:
Papers - Papermania Colossal 12x12 paper stack (water paper), Papermania 12x12 smooth cardstock, bright and pale yellow, red paper
Colours - Anita's acrylic paint, red and yellow, red watercolour pencil, Zig Art & Graphic Twin pen, pale yellow
Embellishments - Fireman Sam sticker (from an activity book), Fireman Sam printed ribbon, Craft Planet rescue vehicle acetate stickers (for the blue lights)
- I replaced the circle in the sketch with a water splat. It wasn't until I added little splashes that it really looked like water though.
- To make the flames background I painted vertical wavy lines in red and yellow onto yellow card, mixing the paints on the card to give a range of colours. I used the pointed wooden end of my paintbrush to remove paint here and there to give some definition and texture. I took my inspiration from the inside cover of Bob's Fireman Sam story book.
|It's lucky the book isn't 12x12, or I might have been tempted to, err, 'repurpose'!|
- I wanted the title to look like the Fireman Sam writing, so I googled for the font and found a great site called Font Meme, with a link to the font. I printed example letters and stuck them face down onto yellow card to cut out. I applied red watercolour pencil to the bottoms and blended with water. I mounted onto pale yellow card and drew round the letters with a fine pencil (I thought a black pen would be overpowering)
|I used less red in my version so it would stand out better from the background|
- I didn't want the journaling to distract from the title and the photo, so I did it on red paper.
- I applied PVA glue to the cut edges of the ribbon to stop it fraying.
- The ribbon had a white background but, as the only white thing on the page I found it jarring, so I coloured with a Zig marker.