Wednesday, 5 February 2014

1 down, 11 to go!

As I mentioned in my last post, my goal for this year is to average one completed scrapbook page per month, and I'm happy to say January's was done with a couple of days to spare :-)

It's years since I did any scrapping, and even more years since I made a 12x12 page, as I have a bit of a thing for mini books.  When I was little, scrapbooks (invariably made of sugar paper) were where you stored random things you made or found, and the first of my 12-pages-in-2014 is in the spirit of that.   The page preserves a bark rubbing that I made with my little boy while walking in the woods in early January, and I wanted the page to be dominated by that plus the photo of us doing it.  In keeping with the subject, I've used quite a bit of texture on the page - the lettering is at a couple of different heights, and the 'trees' that border the page have a bark pattern embossed on them (picked out with fluid chalk inks).

I hope you like it and I'd love any constructive criticism!








What I used
Papers: Basic Grey Ambrosia, Rind (background and journalling), DCWV photo stack (wood and forest floor papers), Papermania stripey paper from a Christmas range (can't remember which though!)
Stickers: Pine needles stickers from an ancient Creative Imaginations sticker set by Pamela Woods
Tools: Tim Holtz bark embossing folder, Woodland Folk alphabet stamps, Ranger craft nibs
Inks: Forever Friends brown ink (lettering), Chalk Queues in various browns and greens

Crafting Notes
  1. I'm a big fan of gutting - cutting out sections of backing paper that would otherwise be covered up.  In this project I've used this 'salvaged' paper for the journalling and for matting the lettering.  I do this routinely, but it was also necessary here as I only had one sheet of the Basic Grey paper.
  2. The alphabet stamps I used didn't include any punctuation, so I hand drew the apostrophe using a Ranger craft nib dipped in the ink I used for stamping.  I really love these little nibs!
  3. The embossing folder I used is A5, so to get a continuous 12" strip, I embossed each end using a Big Shot, taking care not to wind through enough to get a crease from the edge of the folder, then hand embossed some bits of the pattern to fill in the gap.  This works well with a random pattern like bark, but not so well for something more regular.

3 comments:

  1. Aww... what a lovely memory to be able to keep. I love your page..... x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, what a stunning Scrapbook page, and such a lovely memory for your wee boy, to see as he grows older, well done you on getting your goal met for January xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw a fab layout love the rubbing he has done. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love to know someone's out there :-)